


I kind of wish I had written a journal every day Ethan was in the NICU, but I just wasn't thinking about that in the begining. I could barely function without crying. I would wake up crying and go to bed crying. It's just this uneasiness that overwhelms you the entire time your baby is not with you. I got discharged on Friday, Sept 30th. This was the hardest day ever! We went home and our angel had to stay. The hardest thing I've ever done. All I did was worry. Patrick and I would get to the NICU in the mornings around 10am and leave that night around 10pm. We did this for 2 weeks. The best way I can describe the NICU is an emotional roller coaster. You never knew what you were going to walk in to in the morning or what news you were going to get when you called later that night before you went to sleep. All I can say is I'll be so glad when this roller coaster is over! I don't know how some people do this for months and months. I couldn't even imagine. We are getting closer and closer to going home. Hopefully it will be tomorrow (10/11) or Wednesday (10/12)! We can't wait!!!!!
Ethans Issues:
Week 1: Ethan swallowed fluid when he was born and the fluid got infected. He was on antibiotics for 7 days. After 7 days the infection got better. Ethan was also breathing really heavy and fast because of the fluid too. He had to take his feedings through a tube down his throat because he was breathing so fast. He also needed some oxygen for the first week.
Week 2: The infection had cleared up and his breathing was slowing down. We were finally able to start bottle/breast feeding him the 8th day. We started out slow and just did 2 a day. The entire 2nd week Ethan's oxygen levels would stay about 92-100% while he was awake and then drop to 85-89% when he was in a deep sleep. On day 8, 9 and 10 at about 10:00pm he would start dropping. We couldn't tell if it was just a transitional thing from the pneumonia or if something else was going on. So we decided to do a sleep study one night. I'm hoping they will do that tonight and nothing will be wrong so we can take the little man home!

No comments:
Post a Comment