Monday, October 10, 2011

September 27,2011-Ethan Thomas Alsup


September 27, 2011 was the day my sweet little boy was born. It was a scheduled c-section for 1:00pm. I was so nervous the night before. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep at all. Once we got to the hospital I seemed to relax a little. I kept reminding myself I was about to see this little face I had been waiting 10 months to see. The actual surgery went very well. It was qucik and pain free for the most part. I did get pretty scared when Dr. Holladay held him up and I heard him cry for the first time. You could tell he had some fluid in his throat/lungs. I could hear them sucking out the fluid with the suction thing and his cry got a little better. I also remember hearing them say, "Wow that's a lot of fluid". Which freaked me out a little bit. Patrick was by my side the entire time unitl Ethan was born. Once Ethan was born Patrick stayed with him the enire time. He walked with the nurses/doctor's out to the nursery to weigh him, get his vitals,etc... He later told me he was really nervous because Ethan was breathing really fast and he had gotten a lot of fluid in his lungs. I remember the c-section being over really quickly and then going into the recovery room for about 2-3 hours. The nurse then wheeled me past the nursery where I saw all of our family. I bet there were 15 or more people in the waiting room. I waved as they wheeled me by and just remember feeling so loved. I was a little out of it the rest of the night but I do remember having Ethan on my mind the entire time. I couldn't wait to hold him! I kept hoping someone would bring him in, but I didn't get to see Ethan until later that first night because he was having all kinds of breathing problems. Holding Ethan for the first time was one of the best moments of my life. Even though he was a big baby (10lbs 15 ounces)he was my little baby boy! I couldn't get over how cute he was! I think he looks like me :-) I don't think I realized at this moment that he was as sick as he was. I don't think I really thought about it at all. I was just overwhelmed with happienss and joy that this little boy was all mine! I had no idea this was just the beginning of our 2 weeks in the NICU.

No comments:

Post a Comment